Monday, July 25, 2011

Madhurani - A legend..

Hello readers,
I was listening to my favourite radio programme 'guldasta', gazals on vividh bharathi AIR, the other day. By the way that has been one my favourite programme since college days. And i happened to listen to this great singer whom i have been so attached with, Madhurani. OH MY GOD!! She is just phenomenal to say the least. I don't know how many of you have heard her ghazals. The precision of notes and the impeccable murkis in her gayaki make her the best female singer at least in the field of ghazals. Check this link if you wish to listen to her. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsR-p5Gfvnc
Ignore the video and concentrate on the composition and the rendering. I am sure you will all agree with me. Kya dard hai awaaz mein. tried to find her albums in the market but none of these youngsters have heard her name. Penaz Masani happens to be one of her students.

The sad part is that we rarely find any info about her anywhere. I found out that she last released an album sometime in 1996. Wish we could get to listen to more of her recordings.
If you come across another ghazal 'dil ko sukoon rooh ko aaraam aa gaya', then please let me know.
My pranams to this great singer, composer.

4 comments:

  1. oh god.. just heard.. what a feel in her voice.. heavenly indeed!! real music :) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praveen ji, I discovered this Ghazal of hers while randomly browsing youtube. This Ghazal is the best among all the Ghazals I have listened in my entire life. What voice and what feel! Her voice draws you inward. It's the voice of Ma Sharada. It symbolizes the Indian Classical Music in its essence. Too bad that we don't have any commercial recordings of hers. And unfortunately her disciples don't come any close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends, I am a great fan of Madhurani. I believe she has made two albums. I have the song from her Album called Intezar. I have not been able to find the other Album. This is an old LP made in 1995. If any of you have it, please share the music. Thanks
    premcjoshi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just phenomenal....BTW I came across this link:
    http://www.divshare.com/folder/804781-2e3
    from where some of her ghazals can be downloaded..

    ReplyDelete